The two-hour interview, which was broadcast in the US on Sunday and in the UK on Monday evening, saw the Duke and Duchess of Sussex open up about their decision to leave the Royal Family at the start of 2020.
A statement released on behalf of the Queen on Tuesday afternoon read: ‘The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
‘The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.
‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.’
During the conversation, both Harry and Meghan alleged that an unnamed member of the family had raised ‘concerns and conversations’ about how dark their son Archie’s skin might be when he’s born.
Meghan said: ‘In those months when I was pregnant, we had in tandem the conversations of him not being given security or a title, and also concerns about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.’
Neither Harry or Meghan identified the person who made the comments. The Duke added: ‘That conversation, I am never going to share. At the time it was awkward, I was a bit shocked.’
Harry criticised his relatives for failing to speak out in support of Meghan following the racism he said she faced in the media. He said: ‘No-one from my family ever said anything over those three years. That hurts.’
Meghan also revealed she had experienced suicidal thoughts while pregnant with son Archie, while Harry opened up about reports of a rift with his brother Prince William, stating that the ‘relationship is space at the moment’.
He added that he had felt let down by their father, Prince Charles, who had stopped taking his phone calls, and told Oprah there had been ‘a lot of hurt that’s happened’.
Meghan also claimed that Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, had made her cry during the run up to her wedding, rather than the other way around, which was reported at the time.
Buckingham Palace had not been briefed about what was discussed in the interview before it was broadcast, but aides stayed up to watch it from the UK.
The Palace did not respond to the interview on Monday, although it was agreed amid crisis talks that any response must be coordinated between the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William, The Telegraph reported.
The Queen was said to be hesitant to rush out an official response and wanted more time to reflect. A statement highlighting the Royal Family’s love and concern for the Meghan and Harry has been halted, it was reported.
Last week the Palace said they were investigating ‘concerning’ allegations of bullying made against Meghan by former royal staff. The Duchess is accused of driving out out two personal assistants during her time in the family, while staff were allegedly ‘humiliated’ on several occasions.
Meghan’s lawyers said the claims are based on ‘misleading and harmful misinformation’ which was being used to ‘peddle a false narrative’ in advance of her interview with Oprah.